A slip and fall accident (also known as a Premises Liability Claim) can happen anywhere. From a puddle on the grocery store floor to an unsafe construction area, there are plenty of hazards that can lead to a personal injury. Owners of public places have a legal responsibility to keep their property as safe as possible. If they don’t, and you suffer an injury, a slip and fall lawyer can help.
You may be entitled to compensation to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Other than car accidents, slip and fall incidents are one of the most scrutinized types of personal injury claims. The reason is simple — they’re easy to fake. This means that even if you had a legitimate fall, you can expect to have your claim analyzed, reviewed multiple times, and even denied. That’s why you need an expert attorney from Shapiro | Delgado on your side.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, due to a variety of unsafe conditions. Some of the most common causes of these incidents can include:
- Wet and unsafe floors: These can include uneven surfaces, loose flooring, improper warning of wet floors, unsalted icy surfaces, spills that are not cleaned up, potholes in parking lots, and recently waxed or polished floors.
- Environmental conditions: Poor conditions in a building or property can also lead to falls. These can include trash or debris on the floor, poor lighting, too bright of lighting, cords or other obstacles on the floor, and other issues.
- Dangerous ladders or stairs: Some hazardous situations you can encounter on a ladder or stairs are a lack of handrails, worn steps, debris on the steps, stairs without non-skid surfaces, failure to secure a ladder while using it, and more.
- Lack of safety practices: Failure to take proper safety precautions can lead to injuries. If a custodial staff, construction workers, chefs, manual laborers, and other professionals are not properly trained to use safety precautions it can lead to accidents.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Injury
It’s essential to take the right steps after suffering a slip and fall injury to ensure you gather the correct information for your potential lawsuit. Our attorneys recommend following these crucial steps:
- Get medical treatment: Your health is always the top priority after a slip and fall accident. Make sure you get your injuries treated so you can heal properly, and make sure you document them so you can use your medical records as evidence if you choose to pursue a lawsuit.
- Report the accident to the property manager: Wherever your slip and fall accident occurred, it’s essential to report it to the proper authorities – whether it’s a property owner, manager, landlord, or someone else. Get a written report of the accident – and request a copy – before you leave the site.
- Document everything: Make sure you document all evidence before you leave the scene. This can include getting the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any witnesses to the fall. You should also take photos of the exact spot where you fell, and take pictures of what caused the fall – from a puddle to a wet floor without a sign nearby, or other conditions. Make sure to document how you fell, why, what led up to the fall, the date and time, and any other important details.
- Contact an attorney: It’s essential to contact a slip and fall attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney will advise you on what evidence to collect from the scene and will also guide you on what to say – and not say – to the property manager while reporting the accident. He or she will also tell you not to give a statement to the insurance company, or anyone else, before consulting with them.