Whether you’re a daily rider or a weekend warrior, the thrill of hopping on your bike and cruising through the scenic streets of Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg never gets old. Unfortunately, each time you ride, you face potential risks. Most avid riders and motorcycle accident lawyers know it’s not a matter of if you have a motorcycle crash, but when.
All too often, when motorcycle accidents occur, the rider is unfairly blamed. And, when another vehicle is involved, these accidents often result in major injuries or even fatalities.
That’s why you need experienced motorcycle accident lawyers to represent you after a crash.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can happen at any time, under any circumstances. Some of the most common causes are:
- Driver negligence: If a motorist fails to see the motorcycle, doesn’t yield, isn’t paying attention, or demonstrates another risky behavior (like distracted or reckless driving).
- Inclement weather: Wet roads can create slippery conditions that can make it difficult to control a bike or vehicle.
- Road hazards or poor road condition: Obstructions in the road can cause vehicles to swerve and weave, and can lead to crashes.
- Driving under the influence: Drunk driving puts all motorists on the roads at risk.
It is also common for other drivers to fail to give motorcycle riders full use of a lane, as required by Florida law 316.209.
Take the Right Steps After a Motorcycle Accident
An experienced attorney can guide you through the steps to take immediately after a motorcycle accident. This is why it’s crucial to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Some steps we recommend you take are:
- Get examined by a doctor: If you are seriously injured in a motorcycle accident you might be immediately examined on the scene by an emergency response team and taken to the hospital. If you sustained minor injuries that do not require emergency attention, you should still seek medical care quickly to assess and document any injuries. Your medical records will serve as evidence of your injuries if you file a lawsuit against the driver.
- Get the driver’s contact information: Get the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers from the other driver(s) and witnesses. You should also get the insurance information from the other driver, as well as their vehicle’s license plate number. This will help protect you in case the driver leaves the scene before the authorities arrive.
- Take photographs: Take photos of your motorcycle and any damage it sustained, as well as photos of the accident scene, the other vehicle, and any other evidence.
- Get a police report: After your accident, make sure to get a police report. This is the official report of the accident, so it’s important to know what’s in it as you pursue legal action against the driver.
- File an insurance claim: File a claim with your motorcycle insurance carrier to try to recover damages. They will also contact the other driver’s insurance company.
- Keep all bills, invoices, and receipts: To ensure your attorney can get full compensation for your injuries and damage to your motorcycle, you need to prove how much money you spent out of pocket on medical treatment, bike repairs, and any lost wages from time off work.
How an Attorney Can Get You More Money
When the at-fault driver’s insurance company reviews the case, it will likely try to either deny the claim or try to pay you as little as possible. Don’t settle for less money than you are owed! An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can advise you on when to accept a settlement offer or when to file a lawsuit. An attorney will negotiate on your behalf and represent your interests to ensure you get the best outcome possible.
Why You Need Premier Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
As Sarasota’s top-rated motorcycle accident lawyers, we’ve been fighting for the legal rights of bike riders for over four decades. We have the knowledge, experience, and trial-tested track record to handle all types of fatal crashes and catastrophic injuries. We’ve won over $100 million for our clients. This is one of the many reasons why so many clients turn to us for their motorcycle accident litigation needs.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident you need an aggressive team of attorneys who will fight for your rights. Shapiro | Delgado is Sarasota’s premier injury law firm with the compassion and experience you deserve.
Don’t wait, contact us right away. We’ll work hard to get you the maximum possible compensation so you can get your life back on track. Call us at (941) 954-4000 or fill out our easy form today for a free case evaluation. We’re here 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.