You need a car accident lawyer if you are hit by a careless driver, a distracted driver, a drunk driver, and others who aren’t paying attention or make a mistake behind the wheel. When this happens, you could suffer injuries, and your car can sustain damages.
You need a car accident attorney to represent you and make sure you get the compensation you are owed. Don’t fight the insurance companies alone. Hire an experienced car accident attorney to fight alongside you.
What To Do After a Car Accident
Getting into a car accident can be scary. While serious accidents can leave you injured, minor accidents can cause you to be flustered and shocked, as well. Follow these steps to make sure you get all of the information you need from the accident scene to provide to your insurance company and lawyer.
- Call emergency personnel: First, it’s important to call 911 to get a police officer, ambulance, and fire truck, if needed, at the scene. Even for minor accidents, you should request a police officer to ensure an accident report is filed. This will help your case later.
- Assess your injuries: After the initial shock wears off, take a minute to inspect yourself and determine if you are injured. If you are OK, you should then check on people in the other cars to see if they are injured and need help.
- Get information from the other driver: Even though the police officer will collect contact information from each driver, you should also get your copy of the driver’s insurance information, driver’s license number, telephone number, address, email address, and other key information. This will help your insurance company and lawyer contact them later. While collecting this information, do not offer any statements to the driver about the accident. This can include saying who was to blame, if you are injured, what damage your car sustained, and more. If the other driver makes a similar statement to you, make sure to write it down and give it to your lawyer.
- Get witness testimonies: If there were any witnesses to the accident, get their statements as to what they saw, and gather their contact information.
- Take photos: Before leaving the scene, take photos of the accident, the cars involved, any damage to your car, the intersection or location of the accident, and other details that can help you prove what happened. You should also take photos of any injuries – no matter how minor – you suffered in the accident.
- Get medical attention: If you are not injured severely enough to get emergency medical help, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. Even if you think your injuries are minor, they should still be examined. They might be more serious than you think or could turn into a larger issue later. It’s also important to get every injury documented in your medical records so your lawyer can reference it later when seeking damages.
When To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer
After an accident, you might not be sure if you need a car accident attorney, or if you can deal with the insurance companies on your own. The simple answer is you should hire a lawyer. It’s never ideal to try to negotiate with an insurance company on your own.
There are certain situations where you must hire a car accident attorney. These can include:
- If you suffered any injuries in the accident.
- If your car sustained any damage.
- If the other driver caused the accident.
- If the insurance company offers you a settlement that is way below what you know you are owed.
- If you suffered catastrophic injuries in the accident.
An attorney will help you negotiate with large insurance companies and help you get the compensation you are owed.