Car wrecks happen all too often. Are there certain intersections in Sarasota that you know you need to approach with caution because you know you’re at risk of getting into car accidents? Or maybe you avoid them altogether?
The reality is some intersections truly are dangerous and put you at risk for car wrecks and potential injuries. Take a look at the most high-risk intersections in Sarasota, FL, and the surrounding areas.
Most Dangerous Intersections
If you’ve encountered the following intersections, you will likely agree with us that these are five of the most dangerous in the area for car wrecks.
- U.S. 41 and 53rd Avenue West, Bradenton: With high traffic crossing this area each day, and more businesses nearby attracting customers, it creates situations where there is a lot of sudden stopping, which can lead to accidents.
- University Parkway and I-75: As this area has expanded, it has created more traffic and congestion nearby, which is leading to more accidents.
- Jacaranda Boulevard and East Venice Avenue, Venice: This area has a confusing three-lane roundabout. Many crashes happen here due to driver confusion.
- U.S. 41 and Fruitville Road, Sarasota: This intersection is typically used by drivers trying to connect from Lido Key to the interstate. This area is especially dangerous when it rains, as this intersection floods.
- Cortez Road Bridge, Cortez: This aging bridge cannot handle the current traffic demands. There can be delays here as travelers use it to get to Anna Maria Island.
What Makes Certain Intersections More Dangerous Than Others?
Why are some intersections more dangerous than others? It can be due to numerous factors. According to the NHTSA, some risks that can cause some areas to be riskier for car accidents than others are:
- Drivers who are unfamiliar with a particular intersection and its nuances. This can happen if they are unsure which direction to turn, or are not aware of certain traffic control signage.
- When drivers incorrectly assume how other drivers are going to behave in an intersection. This can include failing to see them turn, missing a signal, using an illegal maneuver, not paying attention to the traffic around them, and more.
- Distracted drivers who are looking at their cell phones, playing with their dashboard, eating, and more.
- Speeding or making other aggressive driving actions.
- A vehicle making a left-handed turn. This can cause an accident with oncoming traffic.
- Bad weather, including rain, can lead to car wrecks as drivers try to maneuver through the elements and may not reduce speeds appropriately, or brake soon enough.
- Poor signage can lead to accidents if streets are not marked well. This can lead to confusion for drivers and can cause them to try to change lanes last-minute, or try to make a quick turn. This can catch other drivers off-guard and lead to accidents.
- New or unfamiliar traffic control signs. If new traffic controls have been added to an intersection, it can cause accidents before it prevents them. Adding a new stop sign, no-turn sign, or other signage can be missed by drivers who are used to traveling through the intersection without adhering to those markings. For drivers who are new to the area, they are more likely to notice the signage and follow the guidelines. This can lead to accidents as some drivers follow the rules and others do not.
We Can Help after car Wrecks
If you’re in a car accident, you need help from top-rated, hard-working representation. At Shapiro|Delgado, our attorneys put their injury law experience to work for you. And we handle cases on a contingency basis, which means we don’t get paid unless you do.
We represent clients throughout Florida, including Sarasota, Bradenton, Tampa, Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, and surrounding communities.
To set up a free personal consultation, call 941-954-4000 or use our convenient online contact form.
Your family counts on you.
You can count on us.